Great Tips For Your Child’s First Dental Visit in Little Falls, NJ
We know that going to the dentist will be a completely new experience for your child. So, here are some tips for your Child’s First Dental Visit that we feel will help ease your child’s anxiety or fears about visiting Picture Perfect Smile dental office for the first time:
- Have your child watch our office video on our home page and view Kids’ Corner on our website. Many of our patients get excited to come see us after watching our video and viewing photos of our child friendly offices.
- Schedule for your child’s first dental appointment when your child is alert and well rested. Children five years old and younger tend to be more cooperative earlier in the day. Try to avoid scheduling around or during your child’s meal times or routine nap.
- Before your visit, explain to your child that the dentist will count his/her teeth and make sure they are strong and healthy. We would also like to encourage you to role-play with your child beforehand and pretend with your child as they lie on a flat surface as if they were in our dental chair.
- Please use positive language around your child when discussing first dental visit. Avoid using words that may cause unnecessary fear such as pain, tools, hurt, pull, drill, injection, etc. Do not let others tell your child negative stories about dental visits an do not let your child know if you feel anxious about going to the dentist. Children are more intuitive than we give them credit for! An anxious parent or guardian can cause unnecessary anxiety for the child.
- If your child is three or older and is scheduled for their first dental cleaning, it can be helpful to get your child an electric toothbrush so that he/she becomes accustomed to the noise and the feeling of vibration on their teeth.
- Buy a book on chidlren’s first visit to the dentist to read to your child to get him excited on his first dental visit. There are several children’s books available about first time visits to the dentist that can be found online or at local bookstores near you. Read your child story about a character that has a positive experience with the dentist.
- Be a good role model for your child by teaching him the value of brushing twice a day, flossing every night, eating healthy and visiting the dentists regularly.
Schedule You Child’s First Visit Today
Thank you for choosing Picture Perfect Smile for your child’s pediatric dentistry needs. Please Contact Us with any questions or concerns you may have regarding pedodontics or pediatric dentistry. You can also read about our Little Falls Pedodontist Dr. Sperling, who specializes in pediatric dentistry. To schedule your first visit at our Little Falls, New Jersey dental office, please call (973) 256-2222. We look forward to adding you to our dentistry family and joining you and your child on your dental journey!